It is time again for Secret Recipe Club reveal day! Woo-hoo! What is the Secret Recipe Club? It’s a lot like Secret Santa, but with recipes. Each month you are assigned a blog. After selecting a recipe from that bloggers repertoire, you make and post it on reveal day. It is a great way to find fun recipes and blogs. I like how it gets me to actually sit down and go through another person’s blog. Blogs are a lot of work and take time to put together. Instead of skimming through just the new stuff (as is usually easier when we see a new blog) it is fun to really sit down and go through what else the blog has to offer. Fun stuff!
My assigned blog this month was from Jenny at Jenny’s Cookbook. I was so excited to get her blog this month because has been so fun to explore. She started out putting recipes she was coking on Facebook, but ended up moving to a blog when she hit the 200 image limit on FB. And am I glad she did! She has all kinds of fun things to check out, such as Eggless Caesar Salad Dressing, Pineapple Salsa, Cinnamon Apple and Pear Crisps, Spiced Popcorn, Individual Microwave Lemon Cakes, and Chewy Coconut Cookies. But the recipe that interested me that most for Apple Cinnamon Cake. They were an adaption of a recipe for apple brownies, but she felt they were more cake-like. With it being the start of apple season, the idea of a brownie (or more accurately a blondie) studded with apples sounded wonderful! My version below is the gluten free and dairy free version I made. My version was a bit crumbly as I only has time to tweek it once (curse that gluten!), but that is NOT the fault of the original recipe. The flavor was so good that I WILL be working on this one until it is the perfect gluten & dairy free blondie texture is achieved and editing the recipe. I had to practically wrestle the kiddos away from the pan! We all were attacking it with our forks. I can see this being in our fall treat rotation for years to come. Thanks for the awesome recipe inspiration, Jenny!
Secret Recipe Club – Apple Cinnamon Blondies
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum might up to 3/4 t
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons non-hydgroginated palm shortening or might try 5 T oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar packed (might use 3/4 cup of light brown)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla
- 2 medium peeled and chopped apples might pre-cook to release some of their juices before adding to batter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease an 8x8 pan.
- In a bowl whisk together sorghum flour, almond flour, corn starsh, tapioca starch, xanthan or guar gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In bowl of mixer, whisk melted shortening with brown sugar and the egg until well creamed and fluffy.
- Add gluten free flour mixture to sugar mixture. Stir until well combined. It will be thick.
- Fold in apples and walnuts. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 (mine took 40) minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool before cutting into 16 squares.