Today for the Christmas Cookie Countdown we are baking up Gluten Free Dairy Free Spritz Cookies. I adore these buttery little morsels. You can shape them anyway you need for any holiday (just use a different plate in your cookie press) and you can leave them plain, adorned with sprinkles, or lightly glazed with a powdered sugar icing. So versatile! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. 🙂
Gluten Free Dairy Free Spritz Cookies
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups gluten and dairy free margarine or gluten/dairy/soy free shortening
- 1 cup baker’s sugar
- 1 egg or flax seed replacement 1 T ground golden flax + 3 T hot water
- 1 teaspoon gluten free almond extract or flavoring or vanilla, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract or almond, desired
- 1 1/4 cups finely ground rice flour
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch or arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons potato starch NOT flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder plus 1/4 teaspoon more if using flax instead of egg
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1/4 t salt
- In a mixing bowl cream sugar and margarine or shortening until fluffy. Add egg (or flax replacer) and flavoring and beat well.
- In another bowl whisk together rice flour, sorghum flour, corn starch,potato starch or tapioca flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Mix well. Add to sugar mixture in mixing bowl. Add any other flavorings at this time (ie: orange zest, cinnamon, etc.). Beat until combined. Scrape down mixing bowl and mix again until all combined.
- Put dough into cookie press, and press out cookies onto baking sheet. Sprinkle with gluten free decorations, if desired before baking. Bake in an oven preheated to 375 for 8-10 minutes.