The end of January is always so tough for me. The holidays are over, it is still cold out (usually bitterly so) and a few more months to go before I can play in the garden. Ugh! I decided to make broiled pork tacos today to remind me of summer and the promise of the grill. This recipe is from Gluten Free Spinner, but adapted to how I like them. I also have added freezer directions, because that is how I roll. Tuck a package of this delicious spice rubbed pork tenderloin into the freezer for a day when you crave summer!
Gluten Free-zer Friday - Broiled Pork or Chicken Tacos
- 2 pounds trimmed pork tenderloin or boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon gluten free chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Mix the spices and sugar together, blending well. Rub the spice mixture into the pork tenderloin or chicken until completely coated. Place meat into a gallon sized freezer bag, removing as much air as you can, seal, label and freeze. (To serve right away, allow meat to marinate in the refrigerator or at least 2 hours and up to overnight before cooking.)
- When you are ready to serve your tacos: Thaw. Broil meat until cooked through, flipping meat partway through cooking. It should be browned and have an internal temp of 145 degrees F for pork and 165 degrees F for chicken. Remove from oven and tent with foil, allowing the meat to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve in heated gluten free tortillas with you favorite taco toppings. We like guacamole, mixed greens and roasted corn salsa.