This is featured on the November 2011 Mini Freezer Menu.
Mandarin Orange Chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 to 6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons water or gluten free chicken stock/broth
- 2 cups mandarin orange segments drained (preferable in 100% juice)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Pound chicken slightly between 2 pieces of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness using flat side of meat mallet or rolling pin. Broil chicken 6 inches from heat source 7 to 8 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool. Put chicken into a quart freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- In a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat, cook onion. Cook onion, stirring often for about 5 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool. Stir remaining ingredients, except cornstarch, into cooled onions. Put mixture into another quart freezer bag, then add cornstarch. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- Package chicken bag and sauce bag together in a gallon freezer bag.
- To serve: Thaw. In a pan, heat chicken. In same pan, add juice mixture. Whisking often, heat juice mixture until thickened and bubbly and chicken heated through. Serve over rice.