Bake these Gluten Free Dairy Free Cherry Orange Scones and freeze to keep on hand for a wonderful morning or tea time treat.
The below recipe is altered from when I posted it on OAMM and more in keeping with how I would serve it to my own family. 🙂
Gluten Free Dairy Free Cherry Orange Scones
- 1 1/4 cup finely ground brown or white rice flour
- 13 tablespoons potato starch
- 7 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup frozen gluten and dairy free margarine or 1/3 cup frozen coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped dried cherries soaked in hot water or orange juice for 10 minutes, then drained
- 2 large eggs or egg substitute
- 1/2 cup gluten and dairy free plain yogurt I used coconut based yogurt
- zest of one orange
- 3/4 cup sifted gluten free powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat your oven to 375. Combine your dry ingredients, except the cranberries. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the margarine into the flour mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs. Add your cherries and orange zest. In another bowl, whisk eggs and dairy free yogurt together. Add to dry mixture and stir until just moistened. Turn dough out onto a counter dusted with gluten free flour or starch.
- Knead lightly just until the dough holds together. Make into circles, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut each circle into even wedges and put onto a lightly greased pan or pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375 for 15 min.
- Cool for about 10 minutes. Make glaze by combining orange juice with sifted powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over scones.
- Freezing Directions: Allow to cool completely. Place scones in plastic freezer bag(s), remove as much air as possible, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Serve room temperature or warm before eating.