Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya – Slow Cooking Thursday
This is what we are eating tomorrow. Head over to Sandra’s for Slow Cooking Thursday and see what is in every else’s crock pot!
The Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, I prefer thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 14 oz. gluten/dairy free kielbasa or smoked sausage, sliced (preferably nitrate free)
- 1 – 28 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup gluten free chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- In a slow cooker combine all ingredients and mix. Cover. Cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 3 1/2 hours. Discard bay leaves before serving over cooked rice.
- Optional: You can stir in 1 pound of frozen, peeled and cooked shrimp that have been thawed about 15 minutes before the end of cooking time. Serve when shrimp is heated through.
- To freeze: Place all ingredients into a gallon sized freezer bag. Mix ingredients, remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Pour ingredients into a slow cooker. Cover. Cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 3 1/2 hours. Discard bay leaves before serving over cooked rice.