So, yeah… didn’t get a post up yesterday for Slow Cooking Thursday. Sorry, Sandra! Today’s recipe works for the slow cooker AND it freezes great. My son really likes this one a lot, especially with tortilla chips or corn bread and a salad.
Head over to MJ’s and check out Freezer Food Friday. If you have a great recipe to share the freezes and is gluten free, please leave a comment below with the link and I will add you to the Freezer Food Friday – Gluten Free Edition!
You can freeze this after it cooks in the slow cooker. You can also freeze before slow cooking it by pre-cooking the meat, cooling then adding into a gallon sized zip-seal freezer bag. Add the rest of the ingredents to the bag. Remove as much air as possible, seal the bag and squish the ingredients around to mix. Label and flatten bag. Freeze. When ready to cook, thaw bag, put in crockpot and cook!
I originally got the base recipe from 30 Day Gourmet and it was on their site forever. I don’t see it now, but this is how we make it gluten and dairy free to our tastes.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Taco Chili
- 2 pounds ground beef or bison you could also use ground turkey
- 28 once can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce jar of salsa gluten free
- 10 ounce bag frozen corn
- 15 once can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Brown ground beef until cooked though. Drain well. Mix the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Mix in the cooked meat. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve with tortilla chips or gluten free corn bread.
- To freeze: After cooking the ground beef, put all ingredients into a gallon sized freezer bag, remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Put in slow cooker and cover. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.