Gluten Free Dairy Free Pigs in a Blanket GFCF
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Pigs in a Blanket
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup amaranth flour
- 1 cups tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar, cane juice crystals, agave, honey, maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 3/4 cups warm water, 105-115F. or less
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg, egg-free: use flaxseed replacement
- 8 gluten and dairy free hot dogs, nitrate free preferred
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flours, xanthan gum, salt, yeast, and sugar. In a measuring cup, combine the water and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add olive oil-water mixture and egg to dry ingredients, mixing well. Scrape down mixing bowl then beat on high speed for 4 minutes.
- Place plastic wrap on counter. Divide dough into four pieces. Pat out one portion of dough into a rectangle using oiled hands on the plastic wrap. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife cut the rectangle into two triangles. Pat a hot dog dry. Place hot dog at the bottom wide end of the triangle, then roll the hot dog and dough toward the point. Repeat with remaining hot dogs and dough until all 8 hot dogs are wrapped in dough.
- Place on an oiled baking sheet. Allow the dough to raise for 15 minutes. You can brush the hot dogs with an egg wash of 1 egg mixed with 1 Tablespoon of water or leave as is. (In the photo the dough that baked up more golden had the egg wash and the other did not. Both are equally tasty!) Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 12-15 minutes until dough is baked through and golden.