Sloppy Joes in the Slow Cooker with Freezer Instructions
We love Sloppy Joes (or as we call them, Sloppy Daddy)! This variation made without the canned sauce is delicious and you can control all the ingredients to suit your family. If you need it to be corn free, make sure all ingredients used are corn free (such as your hot sauce). If you need it to be fish free, you will either need to use a vegan gluten free Worcestershire sauce or skip it and altogether.
I altered this recipe from Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook to my family’s tastes and added freezer instructions. Enjoy!
The Recipe: Sloppy Joes in the Slow Cooker with Freezer Instructions
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 large ribs celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. canned tomato paste
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, be sure gluten free
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, be sure gluten free
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- To serve: gluten & dairy free hamburger buns or baked russet or sweet potatoes
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic to the pan, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- When the meat is cooked through, drain any excess grease. Transfer the meat and vegetables to slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. When mixture is finished cooking stir and taste. Add more vinegar, sugar, salt or pepper if needed. Serve the meat mixture spooned on to the buns or baked russet or sweet potato.
- To freeze: After cooking the meat mixture and draining the grease, allow to cool. Place in gallon sized freezer bag with remaining sloppy joe ingredients. Remove as much air as possible, seal and label before freezing. To serve: Place contents of bag in slow cooker after thawing. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.