It is time again for Secret Recipe Club reveal day! Woo-hoo! What is the Secret Recipe Club? It’s a lot like Secret Santa, but with recipes. Each month you are assigned a blog. After selecting a recipe from that bloggers repertoire, you make and post it on reveal day. It is a great way to find fun recipes and blogs. I like how it gets me to actually sit down and go through another person’s blog. Blogs are a lot of work and take time to put together. Instead of skimming through just the new stuff (as is usually easier when we see a new blog) it is fun to really sit down and go through what else the blog has to offer. Fun stuff!
My assigned blog this month was No Reason Needed. She participates in a bunch of fun blog groups, so there were tons of delicious things to pick from. I almost made Apple Streusel Inside-Out Cake or the Banana Sundae Sauce, then Chicka Chicka Salad turned my head. I’m telling ya, it was a hard decision! I finally went with Warm Lemon Pudding. The tangy lemon sounded like just what I needed to celebrate Spring weather FINALLY arriving in my area.
I altered the Warm Lemon Pudding to be gluten and dairy free, because that is how we rock at our house. Then, because I was hoping for a sponge cake topping, I also whipped the egg whites separately before folding them into the batter. Finally I decided to bake my puddings in single servings sizes and use a water bath during the baking process to help keep the pudding/custard part to set without curdling. I wasn’t sure if this was necessary, but felt it was a good idea as I was baking the pudding in single serving sizes. The final puddings baked up light and fluffy. The top layer has a texture between a light sponge cake and a meringue and the pudding layer on the bottom is more of a sauce that thickens to a pudding texture as it cools. Gluten Free Dairy Free Lemon Pudding is a wonderful light dessert with a bright lemon flavor that would pair beautifully with all the lovely Spring berries that are out right now. Thanks so much for the recipe. It is wonderful!
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch or sweet rice flour
- 1 cup gluten & dairy free milk substitute of choice (I used drinkable-style coconut milk from a carton)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely minced lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a blender, food processor or using a mixer, whisk together the sugar and corn starch. Add the milk substitute, lemon juice, egg yolks, lemon zest and vanilla, blending well.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until they are a whipped into a stiff peak. Fold the whipped egg whites into the yolk mixture until well blended.
- Divide mixture between 6 ramekins, custard cups or canning jars. Place ramekins into a 9x13 baking dish. Pour hot water into the baking dish until halfway up the ramekins. Place into a 325 degrees F oven. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until set. Allow pudding to cool enough to eat, or cool completely for a thicker pudding layer.