Slow Cooker Puttanesca Sauce with freezer storing instructions (OAMC)
Add one pound of fresh or frozen shrimp (thawed, peeled and deveined) to half of the sauce for Shrimp Puttanesca Sauce, and a tasty seafood meal!
- 14 cups diced tomatoes about four 28 ounce cans or about 3 quarts home canned tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste about 3 ounces
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives pitted and chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup capers drained or rinsed of salt if salt packed
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste optional
- 3 teaspoons dried basil crushed or 3 tablespoons minced fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano crushed or 1 tablespoon minced fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
In a 6 quart slow cooker, mix together all ingredients, except for half of the olives. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Stir in the remaining olives and cook on high for 20 to 30 minutes uncovered.
Serve half for dinner and freeze one batch: Remove half of the sauce and allow to cool. When cool, place sauce into a gallon sized freezer bag, removing as much air as possible, label and freeze. Or allow entire batch to cool and package in two bags to store for two meals. If serving 4, you can divide the sauce into 3 quart sized bags.
To serve: Thaw. Heat through until bubbly.