Gluten Free Dairy Free Cranberry Upside-down Cake
The topping is made by simply baking cranberries placed in a layer over sugar and spices at the bottom of the pan. As the cake bakes, the sugar caramelizes, forming a rich syrup.
- 2 tablespoons GFCF margarine such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 3/4 cups cranberries I actually used frozen ones that were put right in the pan still frozen
- mix for single layer GFCF yellow cake or homemade batter for one layer gluten & dairy free cake
Preheat oven to 350°, with rack in center. Rub the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round cake pan with 2 tablespoons GFCF margarine. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon and allspice. Sprinkle mixture evenly over bottom of pan; arrange cranberries in a single layer on top.
Prepare cake batter according to package directions, or make homemade batter for one layer gluten free dairy free cake.
Spoon batter over cranberries in pan, and smooth top. Place pan on a baking sheet; bake cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake; invert onto a rimmed platter.