Secret Recipe Club - Coffee Cake in a Mug (or Jar)
For an easy-peasy gluten free flour blend I mixed up 3 cups rice flour, 1 cup potato starch, 1/2 cups tapioca flour and 1 tablespoon xanthum gum.
- 1/2 tablespoon gluten and dairy free margarine olive or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup be sure gluten free, honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3 drops of gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend see above blend or use a cup-for-cup blend such as Better Batter
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice blend
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of mix in of choice: blueberries chopped peaches or apples (or other fruit of choice), dates, nuts or gluten & dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon gluten or dairy free margarine
- 1 heaping teaspoon of flour blend
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or half turbinado sugar, half brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
In a microwave safe coffee mug, cup or jar soften 1/2 tablespoon of margarine in microwave for 5 seconds. Then stir in the sugar and brown rice syrup, mixing well. Add in the applesauce, vanilla, gluten free flour blend, baking powder, and salt, stirring until just combined. Add in your favorite mix-in and fold into the batter. Smooth top of batter a bit.
In a separate bowl, combine all streusel ingredients with your fingers or a fork, working the margarine into a sandy texture. Sprinkle topping over cake batter in cup.
Cook cake in the microwave for 75 seconds. You don’t want to over cook the cake, but you want the top to be just set. Get your spoon ready and go to town!