For my forth recipe for the WonderMill Challenge I made Gluten Free Dairy Free Apple Cardamom Biscotti. This is a biscotti made with all gluten free whole grains and no extra starches. Woo-hoo!
* * * * *
I am an equal opportunity tea, herbal tea and coffee drinker. Mmm-mmmm…. There is just something about that warm comforting cup. What better thing to have with it than biscotti? Biscotti are to have on hand as they are easy to make while appearing fancy, keep well and are nice to have on hand for a unexpected visit with a friend or a late night warm cup of chamomile and chat with your teen.
I have a couple of different gluten and dairy free biscotti recipes over at Angela’s Kitchen, but for this biscotti I wanted to see if I could make them entirely out of gluten free whole grains. I used the flavors of cinnamon paired with cardamom and a bit of apple sauce and kept them lightly sweetened (I want a treat, not a sugar rush). Because of my the WonderMill’s pastry setting, I was able to create a biscotti that uses all gluten free whole grains without any additional starch that did not feel grainy at all. Woo-hoo!
These turned out so nicely. I like that I was able to change out the bit of whole grain flour depending on what I have on hand. It is so exciting to make something that is gluten free
Gluten Free Dairy Free Apple Cardamom Biscotti
Author: Angela Litzinger from angelaskitchen.com
Recipe type: gluten free, dairy free, gfcf, whole grain, biscotti
Serves: makes 18 biscotti
- 1½ cup millet flour (ground on pastry setting)
- ½ cup brown rice flour (ground on pastry setting)
- ½ cup sourgum, quinoa or teff flour (ground on pastry setting)
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅓ cup shortening (I use organic palm shortening)
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ tablespoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon gluten free almond extract
- ½ cup gluten free powdered sugar
- 1 to 1½ tablespoons gluten & dairy free unsweetened milk substitute
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat. Set aside.
- Whisk millet flour, brown rice flour, sourgum flour, baking soda, xanthan or guar gum, salt, cinnamon and cardamon together in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, cream together shortening and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, mixing thoroughly. Whisk in applesauce and extracts.
- Add dry ingredients to the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Scoop dough onto the lined baking sheet. Using wet hands form the dough into a log approximately 1 inches in height and about 6 inches wide. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes (or until middle is dry when you insert a toothpick). Remove from oven and allow to cool (approximately 30 minutes). Lower oven to 300°F. Using a serrated knife, cut biscotti cross-wise, making ½ to ¾ inch wide pieces. Put slices back onto the baking sheet leaving a bit of space between slices.
- Bake at 300°F for 10 minutes, then flip over and bake 10 more minute. Watch closely to avoid burning biscotti. Cool biscotti on a cooling rack.
- When cooled, mix powdered sugar and milk substitute a bit at a time until you reach desired consistency. Mix in cardamon. Drizzle on cooled biscotti and let dry until glaze is firm.