Coffee Cake in a Mug (or Jar), Secret Recipe Club
It is time for Secret Recipe Club reveal day! Woo-hoo! What is the Secret Recipe Club? It’s a lot like Secret Santa, but with recipes. Each month you are assigned a blog. After selecting a recipe from that bloggers repertoire, you make and post it on reveal day. It is a great way to find fun recipes and blogs. I like how it gets me to actually sit down and go through another person’s blog. Blogs are a lot of work and take time to put together. Instead of skimming through just the new stuff (as is usually easier when we see a new blog) it is fun to really sit down and go through what else the blog has to offer. Fun stuff!
This time my assignment was Erin of Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts. Erin went to school for finance, but chose to stay home after son was born. As the name of her blog suggests, she is up for trying to cook anything, from dessert to snacks to drinks to main dishes. She has living in the midwest (that’s where I am) but now hails from Colorado, the lucky duck! There are so many yummy things to chose from on her recipe index, including a HUGE list of muffins and breakfast items (you know I like that!) And desserts! Oh yeah, she had quite a few of those. 🙂 Mmmm-mmm…. Nutella Magi Shell, Cupcakes for Two, Caramel Layer Bars, Margarita Cake, Molten Lava Cake. So what to choose? We we settled on a nifty recipe for making and individual recipe to make Blueberry Coffee Cake in a Mug, though I made ours gluten and dairy free. My kids and I liked that we could prep the mini coffee cakes the night before by putting the wet ingredients in the mug or canning jar (I have a ton of them around the house, so that is what I used), and having one small cup with the dry ingredients and one with the mix-in. Having everything prepped made it even easier to make and individual coffee cakes in the morning for the kiddos. They each pick their favorite mix-in, which makes it extra fun, I think. Your favorite flavor and you don’t have to share. Bwahaha! Thanks, Erin, for the fun recipe. I can’t wait to experiment with more flavor combinations.
The Recipe: Secret Recipe Club - Coffee Cake in a Mug (or Jar)
- 1/2 tablespoon gluten and dairy free margarine, olive or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup, be sure gluten free, honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3 drops of gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend, see above blend or use a cup-for-cup blend such as Better Batter
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice blend
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of mix in of choice: blueberries, chopped peaches or apples (or other fruit of choice), dates, nuts or gluten & dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon gluten or dairy free margarine
- 1 heaping teaspoon of flour blend
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, or half turbinado sugar, half brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a microwave safe coffee mug, cup or jar soften 1/2 tablespoon of margarine in microwave for 5 seconds. Then stir in the sugar and brown rice syrup, mixing well. Add in the applesauce, vanilla, gluten free flour blend, baking powder, and salt, stirring until just combined. Add in your favorite mix-in and fold into the batter. Smooth top of batter a bit.
- In a separate bowl, combine all streusel ingredients with your fingers or a fork, working the margarine into a sandy texture. Sprinkle topping over cake batter in cup.
- Cook cake in the microwave for 75 seconds. You don’t want to over cook the cake, but you want the top to be just set. Get your spoon ready and go to town!
‘); // ]]>