Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownies – Gifts in a Jar
I love to give gifts from my kitchen, and making gift mixes in jars is an easy project that my kiddos can help make for friends and family. As we are gluten free (and not everyone we know is) I like to give this simple brownie mix to introduce others to the tastes of gluten free cooking. Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownies are easy to mix up for even a novice cook and the brownies are delicious. Chocolate is always a welcome gift- am I right?
This mix fits into a pint jar (the smaller 2 cup size) and makes an 8″ x 8″ pan of brownies. Besides oil and eggs and a bit of vanilla, your recipient will need to add 1 cup of chocolate chips or nuts of their choosing. I don’t add that to the mix as I know too many people with different types of allergies, so this makes it easy to make a bunch of mixes at once that everyone on my gift list can enjoy.
One tip I have is to carefully wipe down the inside of the jar with a clean paper towel after adding the cocoa powder. You don’t have to, but as cocoa powder really seems to cling, it helps to keep the layers looking distinct. I also like to use wide mouth jars as I find it easier to get the ingredients inside neatly. If you would like to make a larger quart-sized jar, double all the ingredients (don’t forget to do the same on the gift instruction card!) and inform your recipient that it will take longer to bake.
Reminder: If you are not a family who eats a gluten free diet and would like to make these for a friend who does, please remember to always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Please to not make these up on a day you are doing baking with wheat based flour, as flour can float and contaminate your gift with gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten. You can always check with your friend and see what brands they use, too. 🙂
Would you like to make other types of gifts in a jar? I have a whole round up on this post for your enjoyment! 🙂
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownies in a Jar
- Ingredients for Dry Mix:
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened sifted cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup finely ground rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon potato starch
- 2 tablespoon tapioca starch
- Add to dry mix:
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 2 large eggs or egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or gluten & dairy free chocolate chips
- To make mix: Layer ingredients into a pint sized jar in the order given. Put on the cap and decorate, if you choose. Add label with instructions.
- To make brownies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil an 8″ x 8″ baking pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together oil, eggs and vanilla. Add the entire jar of brownie mix and stir until completely combined. Batter will be thick. Mix in nuts or chocolate chips. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!