Broccoli Casserole (GFCF)
A creamy gluten and dairy free casserole, without the “cream of something” soup. Use as a side dish or as the base for a main dish by adding a bit of protein, such as an egg, sautéed chicken or stir fried tofu or seasoned black beans to round out the meal.
The Recipe: Broccoli Casserole
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 3/4 cups white wine or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 bay leaves
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened milk substitute of choice, I like almond
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oil. Add onions and stir, cooking until caramelized. Remove onions from pan, leaving oil Season with salt and pepper.
- In hot oil stir in mushrooms, cooking until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in wine or stock, bay leves and cloves. Boil off most of the wine, scraping up and bits in the pan. Wisk cornstarch into milk substitute. Stir coconut milk and milk substitute into pan with mushrooms. Whisking continuously over medium heat, bring to a simmer until mixture thickens. Remove bay leaves and cloves. Whisk in nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in thawed broccoli.
- Put mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle caramelized onions on top. Cover with foil and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Covered, place in oven and cook at 350 degress for 20 minutes. Uncover, place back in oven and cook for remaining 10 minutes.