If you were to make a list of my kids’ favorite foods, noodles (gluten free, of course) and any type of taco-style food would be at the top of the list. My oldest daughter particularly loves her noodles and will often make them when she cooks us dinner. In fact one of the first meals she was able to make all by herself was spaghetti pie. All the yumminess of spaghetti shaped like a pie? Oh, yeah! It’s a kid friendly meal for sure!
When we saw this version of one of our favorites, made with southwestern flavors, we just had to make a gluten and dairy free version. Gluten free Dairy Free Southwestern Pie combines the fun of spaghetti pie with the taco flavors kids love. Served up with a big salad and it got a thumbs up from my hubby, too! For the dairy free cheese substitute, I like to use 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup cashew “cheesy” sauce drizzled on top of the pie, but you can use any type of cheese substitute you like or skip it.
- 8 ounces gluten free spaghetti, cooked according to the package directions
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon gluten free chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded gluten & dairy cheese substitute of choice, optional
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, onion and bell pepper. Drain grease. Stir diced tomatoes and its juice, the beans and spices into the cooked ground beef mixture. Allow to simmer while assembling the rest so that the liquid in the pan thickens.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs the add cooked gluten free spaghetti and toss until well coated. Place spaghetti mixture into an oiled deep dish pie pan(s). Shape the spaghetti to form a pie crust. Spoon hamburger and bean mixture into the spaghetti “crust(s)”. Allow to cool. Sprinkle with cheese substitute, if using. With pie covered with foil, bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 more minutes until baked through. Remove from oven and allow pie to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Freezing Directions: Prepare as above EXCEPT don’t bake. Wrap pie well for freezer. Label and freeze. To serve: Allow to thaw. With pie covered with foil, bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 more minutes until baked through. Remove from oven and allow pie to rest for 10 minutes before serving.