Pepper steak is one yummy meal! Serve Gluten Free Dairy Free Pepper Steak on rice, cauliflower “rice”, or on toasted gluten free French bread as a sandwich. To make a vegetarian meal, you can replace the steak with portabella mushrooms, if you wish. Cut the caps into thick slices and brush both sides with olive oil. Sear portabella slices as you would the beef.
Gluten and Dairy Free Pepper Steak
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef top sirloin or beef flank steak
- 4 1/2 tablespoons gluten free reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil I like to use toasted sesame oil
- 3/8-1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 4 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 medium green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 1/2 medium red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 1/2 medium onion cut in half and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Cut beef in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Combine soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, sesame oil and red pepper flakes in medium bowl,; stir until smooth. Add beef and toss to coat; set aside.
- Heat skillet over med-high heat about 1 minute or until hot. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil into skillet and heat 30 seconds. Add bell pepper strips; stir-fry until crisp-tender. Remove to large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and heat 30 seconds. Add half of beef mixture to wok; stir-fry until well browned. Remove beef to bowl with bell peppers. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and beef mixture. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onion; stir-fry about 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic; stir-fry 30 seconds. Return bell peppers, beef and any accumulated juices to wok; cook until heated through.
- Serve over hot jasmine rice, cauliflower "rice" or on toasted gluten free French bread.