French Toast Casserole, Gluten Free Dairy Free
French toast casserole is such an easy (and inexpensive) dish to make. It is lovely as a bunch dish, to bake up for before school breakfast, or for a “breakfast-for-dinner” dinner. Yum! Of course, you french toast casserole is full of gluten and dairy, but this one is gluten and dairy free and still delicious. A delicious make ahead dish, make this up the night before so the egg mixture has time to soak into the bread cubes.
If you have kiddos that don’t like to eat he crust of their gluten free bread, this is a good place to use it up. Cut the crusts into cubes and stash in a freezer bag in the freezer. When you have enough cubes, thaw the cubes and make your dish. Easy-peasy!
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf of gluten & dairy free bread or French bread, I like using mine: http://angelaskitchen.com/2007/06/14/gluten-and-dairy-free-french-bread/, cut into about 3/4" cubes, about 8 cups
- 6 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups dairy free milk substitute, I like almond milk
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten free vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil 9x13" pan. Put gluten free bread cubes into pan.
- Blend eggs, milk substitute, coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until smooth and well incorporated. Carefully pour egg mixture over bread cubes. Cover pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Take plastic wrap off pan, and bake French toast casserole 45-55 minutes, until golden and egg is set.