With it being Tex-Mex theme for this week’s Gluten Free Menu Swap, I just had to bring back this little blast from the past: Slow Cooker Salsa Pork Chops. I’ve added freezer instructions, freezer labels and a nifty recipe card for making more than one batch if chops go on sale.
This is a great dish to come home to on busy school nights, but I also like it for summer-time meals. If the pork chops I am cooking are a little thin, or cook a little longer than usual (hey, it happens!), I found you can shred the pork and use it for nachos, taco salad, taco filling, a topping for baked potatoes, sweet potatoes or gluten free noodles. It’s so versatile and pleases everyone in my family. I love that in a recipe!
Use you favorite salsa with the level of heat your family enjoys. I use what ever we have on hand, but I particularly like using peach salsa when cooking this up in the summer. The sweet-savory combo makes a great sandwich filling when having a picnic dinner in the yard. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 pork chops, bone in or boneless
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Warm oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, then add pork chops. Cook pork chops until browned on both sides. They do not need to be cooked though as they will cook more in the slow cooker. You are looking to give the meat a nice sear and color.
- In a bowl mix together the tomato sauce, salsa, lime juice, garlic, oregano, cumin, black pepper, and salt.
- Arrange a single layer of pork chops in slow cooker. Spoon a bit of sauce onto each chop. Add more pork chops to slow cooker, adding sauce on top of each one until all pork chops are in the slow cooker. Pour remaining sauce over chops.
- Cover slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours until cooked through.
- Freezer instructions: Allow the pork chops to cool after searing. Place in a gallon sized freezer bag and add sauce. Mix sauce around pork chops, remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Put contents of bag in slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours.