This week at Once a Month Mom I share Gluten Free Dairy Free Honey Bourbon Chicken. Don’t worry, there is no bourbon in there. ;)
* * * * * *
Just in case you are a little leery about making a dish with the word “bourbon” in it for your family, not to worry! According to Laura of Real Mom Kitchen where this recipe came from, the recipe is named for Bourbon Street in New Orleans. So, there ya go! There is no bourbon whisky in the dish. :)
The recipe is easy-peasy to pull together and, because it cooks in the slow cooker, is an even easier meal to serve. I serve the chicken over rice, quinoa, mashed sweet potatoes or cauliflower puree. Yum!
The version here, as opposed to what I posted on OAMM, is changed for reduced sweetener and to tweek the flavor profile to what my family prefers.
- 2 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced onion
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup gluten free soy sauce
- ¼ cup gluten free ketchup, fruit juice sweetened prefered
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Put all ingredients into slow cooker and mix. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and cut into strips. In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and add to crock pot with the chicken. Stir. Cook on high for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Freezing Directions: Put all ingredients into a gallon sized freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Cook in slow cooker as directed above.