Gluten Free Dairy Free Cranberry Vanilla Muffins
When I saw the Cranberry Vanilla Muffins from the November 2010 Traditional Menu, I just had to adapt them! And the easiest adaption is to use my Gluten and Dairy Free Fresh Fruit Vanilla Muffins. Easy-Peasy. Obviously fresh cranberries might be hard to get right now, so feel free to use frozen. I like this muffin also with black cherries, strawberries or blueberries. Yum! I dressed to top of the muffin with a bit of turbinado sugar to give it a touch of sweet crunch and that coffee house flair.
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Cranberry Vanilla Muffins
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup sugar or dehydrated cane juice
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened milk substitute of choice
- 1 large egg or egg substitute to equal one egg
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries, if using frozen, do not thaw. Stir into batter frozen.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set pan aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the dry ingredients together well. Mix in the wet ingredients, except cranberries until batter is smooth using a mixer. Do not over beat. Fold in fruit. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 350 until muffins are done, using a toothpick or thin sharp knife to see if batter is baked through. Cool muffins on a wire rack.
- Freezing Directions: Cool muffins completely. Put into a gallon-size freezer bag. Remove as mush air as possible, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Eat at room temperature or warm slightly.