Okay, I know this is more of a summer recipe, but, darlings, I was feeling it. I just needed a little summer meal during this cold week. All the gardening catalogs are arriving in my mailbox and all I can think about is SUMMER! As a bonus, this recipe freezes like a dream (yep, you can freeze avocado) so make up a big batch and stash a few in the freezer for another day.
I served these with Corn Salsa. Instead of fresh corn, today I used frozen that I had thawed for this recipe. Worked like a charm for a fresh bite of summer. The salsa is easy-peasy, delish and whips up quickly, so you’ll want to take the few minutes it takes to make it to top your burgers. Just look at that photo – it’s a party on your plate!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced green bell peppers
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 20 oz. package ground turkey (not extra lean, for a juicier burger)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ripe avocado
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, green and red peppers to pan. Salute, stirring often until vegetables have released their moisture and softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, mix ground turkey, cooked vegetables, salt, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and oregano together until well blended. Divide meat into 10 parts.
- Cut open avocado, pit and slice it. Using a spoon remove avocado slices from peel.
- Pat out one portion of the meat into a ¼ inch thick round. Place an avocado slice in the center of the round leaving a border. Pat out another portion and place on top of avocado slice completely encasing slice. Gently pinch edges of burger together to seal. Repeat with remaining meat portions until 5 avocado stuffed burgers are made.
- Cook burgers on a heated and oiled grill or on an oiled skillet until cooked through.
- To freeze: Complete recipe until all burgers are stuffed and completed, but not cooked. Place burgers on a parchment or plastic lined baking sheet. Place baking sheet into the coldest part of your freezer until firm. Place burgers into a zip-sealed freezer bag separated by wax paper or parchment paper. Remove as much air as possible from bag, seal, label and place in the freezer.
- To serve: Thaw. Cook on oiled preheated grill or in oiled skillet until cooked through.