Today I post gluten free dairy free berry lemon muffins over at OAMM. Stop by and say “Hi!”
* * * * * *
I love a sweet lemon muffin. It just hints that spring is on the way! The Gluten Free Dairy Free Berry Lemon Muffins are packed with berries with lemon complimenting the berries’ sweetness. You can use fresh or frozen fruit in this recipe. If you use frozen, do not thaw the fruit ahead of time, just mix them in still frozen. If you do not have a mix of berries, or just prefer one type of berry over another, go ahead and use the berries you love (remembering to use the same total amount of berries called for in the recipe).
I used all raspberries here as that is what I had in my freezer. Eating muffins filled with my garden raspberries from last summer tasted like bite of spring as I snuggled down to look at seed catalogs. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
These are slightly different than how I posted them at OAMM, more in keeping with how I really serve them in my home. Enjoy!
- 2 cups finely ground white or brown rice flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup sweet rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- 1 tablespoon gluten free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1½ cup gluten and dairy free unsweetened milk substitute of choice
- 2 large eggs (or 2 T ground golden flax mixed with 6 T HOT water)
- ¾ cup oil
- 2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla extract
- 1½ cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup diced strawberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1½ tablespoon fresh finely minced lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin pans with paper liners and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the rice flour, sugar, sweet rice flour, potato starch, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum. In another bowl whisk together the eggs, milk substitute, oil vanilla and lemon zest. Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing just until batter is smooth. Fold in berries.
- Fill prepared muffin cups about ⅔ full. Bake muffins 20-25 minutes until muffins are golden and a toothpick in the muffin comes out clean. Put muffins on a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Freezing Directions: Put cooled muffins into a zip-sealed freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Eat muffin at room temp or warm through.