This week I share Gluten Free Dairy Free Cranberry Orange Scones from the upcoming October Menu at Once a Month Mom. Stop by and say “Hi!”
Be sure to check out the September 2011 Gluten Free Dairy Free Freezer Menu at Once a Month Mom. It includes printable menu cards, labels for your freezer meals and a grocery list! Let me know if you have anything special that you would like to see added to a freezer menu in the upcoming months. Hope you like it!
Other freezer cooking resources:
* * * * *
I really enjoy a good scone. Being gluten free and dairy free means I have to make my own, but when they are this easy and quick to bake, I don’t really mind. There are just a couple things to keep in mind to make really good scones. The first thing I make sure of is to start with cold ingredients. I freeze the gluten and dairy free margarine that I use. In order to get the margarine really well incorporated without melting, I grate the frozen margarine into the flours and starches instead of using forks or knives to cut the margarine into the flours. It is a lot easier to great the frozen margarine into the flours to get an even incorporation of the oils to make a light scone.
Bake these Gluten Free Dairy Free Cranberry Orange Scones and freeze to keep on hand for a wonderful morning or tea time treat.
The below recipe is slightly altered from when I posted it on OAMM and more in keeping with how I would serve it to my own family. :)
- 1¼ cup finely ground brown or white rice flour
- 13 tablespoons potato starch
- 7 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons xanthan gum or guar gum
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup frozen gluten and dairy free margarine (or ⅓ cup frozen coconut oil)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (soaked in hot water or orange juice for 10 minutes, then drained)
- 2 large eggs or egg substitute
- ½ cup gluten and dairy free plain yogurt (I used coconut based yogurt)
- zest of one orange
- ¾ cup sifted gluten free powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat your oven to 375. Combine your dry ingredients, except the cranberries. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the margarine into the flour mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs. Add your cranberries and orange zest. In another bowl, whisk eggs and dairy free yogurt together. Add to dry mixture and stir until just moistened. Turn dough out onto a counter dusted with gluten free flour or starch.
- Knead lightly just until the dough holds together. Make into circles, about ½ inch thick. Cut each circle into even wedges and put onto a lightly greased pan or pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375 for 15 min.
- Cool for about 10 minutes. Make glaze by combining orange juice with sifted powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over scones.
- Freezing Directions: Allow to cool completely. Place scones in plastic freezer bag(s), remove as much air as possible, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Serve room temperature or warm before eating.