This week I share Apple Sausage Quiche from the upcoming September Menu at Once a Month Mom. Stop by and say “Hi!”
Be sure to check out the August 2011 Gluten Free Dairy Free Freezer Menu at Once a Month Mom. It includes printable menu cards, labels for your freezer meals and a grocery list! Let me know if you have anything special that you would like to see added to a freezer menu in the upcoming months. Hope you like it!
Other freezer cooking resources:
* * * * *
Quiche is a dish that can be made with so many different flavor combinations and still be delicious. It is also an easy, economical meal to be used as breakfast, lunch or a dinner. I like to bake mini-quiches in muffin tins to make them an simple, high-protien breakfast for my teens to grab as they stumble to the bus in the morning.
I am so excited that apples are coming into season soon! Gluten Free Dairy Free Apple Sausage Quiche has chopped apples in the mix, lending a sweetness that compliments the sausage and roasted peppers perfectly. I did not use the optional dairy free cheese substitute in the mini-quiches I made (see above) and they were still flavorful and colorful.
I am posting a slightly different version that I posted over at OAMM. This is more in keeping with how I make it for my family. Enjoy!
- 1 large potato or sweet potato or a mix, grated
- 2 shallots or sweet onions grated and divided
- 1 egg white
- ½ pound sausage of choice (pork , turkey, etc. I like using homemade turkey sausage.)
- 1 apple, peeled and diced (use a cooking apple)
- ½ cup roasted bell peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup shredded gluten and dairy free cheese substitute, optional
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine potato, egg white and half of shallots. Dividing potatoes, press into oiled muffin tins (2 per serving). Bake for about 10 minutes, until edges are brown.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage. Add apple and remaining shallots, cooking until apples are tender but not falling apart. Add maple syrup and toss with sausage and apple mixture. Divide sausage mixture into potato crusts and spread out evenly. Sprinkle cheese substitute over filling.
- Beat eggs with salt and pepper to taste. Carefully pour eggs over filling. Bake until eggs are set, about 15 minutes.
- Freezing Directions: Allow to cool. Divide and place into indicated number of freezer bags.
- To serve: Thaw and heat through.