Make your own… Strawberry Rhubarb Salad Dressing
So, you have heard me tell the tale of rhubarb at our house, where I adore it and my husband thinks it is evidence of Satan. Yeah – he hates it. Well, why on earth would I make a salad dressing with rhubarb? Because I like it! And it was my birthday last week. And I like it!
This recipe is adapted a recipe from Paula Deen, the queen of Southern cooking. I don’t know about the South, but we Northern-Midwest types like rhubarb, too. 🙂 I tweeked it slightly to our tastes and to make a smaller batch (see above about my husband’s relationship with rhubarb). This is amazing on a salad topped with roasted golden beets and strawberries or one topped with grilled peaches. Mmmmm….
The Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sliced rhubarb, about 2 stalks
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 shallot or small sweet yellow onion, diced
- one sprig fresh thyme, rosemary would also be lovely
- 5 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch salt
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, if desired
- In a small sauce pan, bring honey and water to a boil. Add rhubarb, strawberries, shallots, and thyme sprig. Continue to boil for another 5 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat and stir in vinegar and lemon zest. Simmer for about 8 minutes until reduced by half and rhubarb is very tender. Remove from heat, take out thyme sprig and allow to cool.
- Place mixture in the bowl of a food processor or blender with the Dijon mustard and process until smooth. With processor running, add the oil in a steady stream. Salt and pepper to taste and stir in poppy seeds if using. Serve warm or cold on your favorite salad greens.