This week I share Santa Fe-Style Quinoa Salad from the upcoming July menu at Once a Month Mom. Tomorrow keep an eye out for the Gluten Free Dairy Free June 2011 Menu at OAMM. Stop by and say “Hi!”
Be sure to check out the Gluten and Dairy Free May 2011 Freezer Menu at Once a Month Mom. It includes printable menu cards, labels for your freezer meals and a grocery list! Let me know is you have anything special that you would like to see added to a freezer menu in the upcoming months. Hope you like it!
Santa Fe-Style Quinoa Salad
adapted from Donna Klein’s Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen by aglutenfreeguide.com
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cups gluten free picante sauce, mild or medium
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon grounds cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 3/4 cups home cooked black beans)
- 1 1/5 cup fresh or frozen corn, cooked, drained and cooled
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeno chili, seeded and finely chopped
In a medium saucepan, stir together water, picante sauce, quinoa, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover pan and toss quinoa with a fork. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and let cool slightly. While still warm, add the remaining ingredients to the quinoa mixture, tossing well to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve slightly warm or let cool to room temperature.
To freeze, allow to cool completely, then package in individual lunch serving sizes. To serve: Thaw and warm through. Serve warm or at room temperature. Note: the cherry tomatoes will have a softer texture after freezing. My family doesn’t mind, however, if you prefer freeze the salad without the tomatoes. Add them after thawing and before freezing.