This week I share Honey Chicken Kabobs from the upcoming June menu at Once a Month Mom. Stop by and say “Hi!”
* * * * * * *
I love kabobs! You can add different types of veggies, different types of meat or go vegetarian and use extra-firm tofu. Kabob marinades come in many different flavors so you can have a different taste every time. Kabobs are also nice because they cook up quickly due to the cuts of meat being cut into smaller pieces, allowing you to get back to your summer fun. Don’t have a grill? No problem! I find that kabobs cook beautifully on a baking sheet in my oven. Just use the “broil” setting and keep an eye on them.
These Gluten and Dairy Free Honey Chicken Kabobs are naturally dressed up and delicious making them an easy fun meal for kids and adults alike. I serve mine with fresh fruit and a salad topped with Dairy Free Ranch Dressing. Yum!
The below recipe is slightly different than the one I published on OAMM. It is more in keeping with how I really make it for my family.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup gluten free soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1″ cubes (4 to 5 ounces each, 2 to 2½ pounds total)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 5 small onions, cut into 2″ pieces
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2″ pieces
- skewers (if bamboo or wooden, soak for at least for 30 minutes in water)
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce and black pepper. Add chicken, garlic, onions and peppers into the bowl, cover and marinade in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill for high heat. Drain chicken and vegetables, discarding marinade. Thread chicken and veggies alternately onto metal skewers or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water for 30 minutes. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place skewers on the grill, cooking for 12-15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. You can also broil kabobs in the oven on a rimmed baking sheet.
- To freeze: In a large freezer bag mix together oil, honey, soy sauce and black pepper. Place the chicken, garlic, onions and peppers into the bag, remove as much air as possible, seal and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw then follow cooking instructions above.