This week I share Orange-Apricot Pork Chops for the Slow Cooker at Once a Month Mom. Stop by and say “Hi!”
* * * * * * *
With spring in the air, the activities for my kids seem to fill up the calendar. Soccer, track practice, Girl and Boy Scouts – you name it! Whew! If it weren’t for my crock pot I don’t know where our dinner would come from sometimes. Fortunately, most crock pot recipes also freeze beautifully, making dinner easy on a busy day. Take your meal out of the freezer the night before, allowing it to thaw in the refrigerator. In the morning, pop it into your slow cooker, then head out for the day. Dinner will be ready and bubbling when you get home. Can’t get easier than that!
If you love your crock pot as much as I do, visit Stephanie O’Dea at A Year of Slow Cooking. She set a goal (and met it!) in 2008 to slow cook and post about it every day for a year. Every recipe is gluten free (though not necessarily dairy free, so watch for that if you need to. She will tell you honestly if something tasted good, if the kids liked it, or if it was only grown up fare. You need gluten free play dough? The GF play dough recipe on her site is the best I have tried, and trust me, we have made a LOT of play dough. The below recipe she posted from a friend and is now one of our family favorites.
- 6 pork chops
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges (and juice!)
- Use a 4-6 quart crockpot. Put pork chops into your crockpot. In a small bowl, combine jam, brown sugar, and spices. Spoon over pork chops. Add the entire can of mandarin oranges evenly over the top. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, or on high for about 4.
- Serve with rice to soak up the yummy juice and a side salad.
- Freezing Directions: Place all ingredients into gallon sized freezer bags. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
What was I cooking…?
Last year: Menu Plan Monday – April 12, 2010
Two years ago: Gluten Free-zer Friday – Swedish Meatballs
Three years ago: Slow Cooking Thursday- Baked Apples
Four years ago: GFCF Pizza Pancakes