Portable breakfasts are perfect when you have teens in my house. And gluten free dairy free granola bars are just the thing to tuck in my youngest daughter’s back pack for her school snack. Heidi of Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom rocked my world when she published her version of chewy gluten free granola bars. My kids give them two thumbs WAY up, so I thought I would make our version here so my kiddos can help themselves to baking them (hint, hint).
I found that you have to be sure the bars are completely golden in order to ensure they are cooked enough to hold together. Another tip is to be sure to cool the bars completely before cutting so they set up and cut cleanly. I have made these both with the gluten and dairy free margarine, as in the recipe, and another recipe with 1/3 cup coconut oil. Both worked really well, so use coconut oil if you prefer that ingredient. If you like your gluten free dairy free granola bars more crispy, try the fruit filled version I posted a few months ago.
If you need the recipe multiplied for larger freezer cooking (OAMC) batches, here is a printable recipe card for multiple batches.
- 2½ cups certified gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup gluten free crispy rice cereal
- ½ cup dried fruit, toasted chopped nuts or gluten and dairy free chocolate chips
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (or ½ cup gluten and dairy free margarine)
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup grade B maple syrup, agave, or honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment. Set aside.
- Use a large bowl and mix all ingredients well until combined. (Using clean hands makes mixing easy!)
- Press firmly into the prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes then score into bars (mark where you will cut later). Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
- To freeze: Put bars into freezer bag, separated by waxed paper. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze. Or, individually wrap each bar before placing in a freezer bag or container.
- To serve: Thaw.