Gluten Free Beef Empanadas
Yummy hand-held deliciousness for the lunchbox, dinner or any time!
Assembly can take a little extra time (mmm… savory filling wrapped in pastry), so I like to make a big batch of these and freeze the extra to warm up later. You will need to make one batch of the Double Batch Gluten Free Pie Crust. You’ll need to make the total of 4 gluten free pie crust recipes.
The Recipe: Gluten Free Beef Empanadas
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups pimiento-filled green olives, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 eggs, separated
- dash of gluten free hot sauce
- Saute the onion and green bell pepper in large skillet. Add beef and brown. Add cumin and cook for another minute. Stir in the olives, raisins, honey, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cook approximately 4 minutes longer.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool the mixture in the fridge. Stir in the egg whites. Using plastic wrap, roll out pie crust. Using an overturned bowl (about 5 inches across) cut out circles about 3 or 4 at a time from each piece of dough. Gather all scraps together, roll out, and cut. Place 1/4 cup filling on one side of a dough circle. Wet the edges of the dough with water. Fold the dough over to form a half circle. Pinch the edges of the dough together. Crimp the edges with a fork. Repeat the process until all the filling is used. (You can freeze at this point if you would like to cook them later. They must be frozen completely before adding to freezer bags. To freeze cooked continue on.)
- Using the egg yolks, mix with one Tablespoon of water to make egg wash. Brush pastries with egg wash. Prick on top twice with fork. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool. Wrap each individually with plastic wrap and place in 2 gallon freezer bags.
- To serve: Put empanada on baking sheet in oven at 350 degrees until heated through.