Gluten Free Dairy Free Candy Corn Cookies
I have seen this idea all over the internet, in magazines by the checkout, etc. Such a fun idea! BUT all those recipes are filled with gluten and dairy, so I developed this recipe for those of us who want the fun, but not the gluten and dairy. 🙂 This is a really simple technique to make the stripes. The cookie itself is a shortbread type cookie with a hint of vanilla.
You can roll the hot cookies in sugar for a bit of sparkle, but we like them plain. The cookies bake up to be about 1 1/2″ so they are the perfect size for the lunch box and you don’t have to feel bad to have a couple of them at a time. Enjoy!
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Candy Corn Cookies GFCF
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2/3 cup potato starch, NOT flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup room temperature gluten and dairy free margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free almond extract
- Orange food coloring, I prefer a natural one such as from NaturesFlavors.com
- Yellow food coloring, I prefer a natural one such as from NaturesFlavors.com
- Line an 8" x 4" loaf pan with parchment paper, waxed paper or plastic wrap. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, xanthan or guar, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of your mixer cream together the margarine and sugar. When fluffy, blend in the egg, vanilla and almond extract. Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl and mix until completely blended, scraping down mixing bowl as needed. Divide dough into three parts. Leave one plain, mix yellow coloring into the second and orange coloring into the third dough section.
- Pat dough without coloring evenly into the bottom of the lined pan. Next carefully pat yellow dough evenly on top of the plain dough. Finally, pat orange dough into an even layer on top of the yellow dough. Wrap pan well and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unwrap dough and slice loaf starting on the short end into 1/4" slices. Cut each slice into 5 triangles by making angled cuts (see photo). Place cookies onto baking sheet about 1" apart and bake for 8 to 10 minutes unto lightly browned on the bottom and the cookies are set. Place cookies onto a cooking rack or roll hot cookies in sugar for some extra sparkle, if that's how you roll. 🙂
Pingback: Blast from the past – Gluten Free Dairy Free Candy Corn Cookies
Thanks for the recipe… these are adorable and my GF/DF daughter will love them!
I am so excited I found your site… just in time for the warm fuzzy baking season of Fall. We’ve already made your Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, and I’m excited to try these next!
Thank you, and keep the recipes coming!
Yay! I am so glad you enjoyed the pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Enjoy the cookies and thanks for stopping by! 🙂