Gluten & Dairy Free Gourmet Rice Dressing
This rice dressing can be used as a side dish for a special occasion or warm it as a side for your week night dinner. This is a freezer cooking adaption from my November 2005 class.
The Recipe: Gluten & Dairy Free Gourmet Rice Dressing
- 2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup oil or dairy free margarine, such as Earth Balance
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups boiling GF chicken broth
- 2 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 2 t salt
- 1 1/2 t GF curry powder
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 cups sliced toasted almonds
- Sauté onions, celery, celery leaves, mushrooms and rice in butter until vegetables are tender and rice is golden. Turn into a buttered shallow 2-qt casserole dish. Stir in chicken broth and seasonings. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork; Cool.
- Place rice into a gallon sized freezer bag. Place almonds into a separate pint freezer bags. Package dressing and almond bag together and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw and bake covered with foil in a greased dish at 350°F until heated through, adding hot water or stock if needed to keep rice moist. (about 30 -45 minutes covered). Spoon into a serving dish and top with almonds.