Other freezer cooking resources:
* * * * * * *
For me peaches are the ultimate summer fruit. Even their appearance is sun-kissed, busting with sweetness. I try to cram as many as I can into our menu during this time of year before they aren’t available. I bake them up in muffins, stir them into dairy free yogurt, and just eat them out of hand with the juice dripping down my chin. Mmmm…. When I saw this recipe from Natalie, the Gluten Free Mommy, last year it quickly became a dinner staple. This dish is extra wonderful because you can use tomatoes or peaches in the sauce making it adaptable for any season. The version below is my favorite, of course, because it uses peaches. Cook up a batch and enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, cut into 2″ pieces
- ¾ cup red onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1½ cups chopped fresh peaches
- ¾ cup chicken broth, gluten free
- ¼ cup white wine or more chicken broth
- 3 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon curry powder, gluten free
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder, gluten free
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- In a pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Cook the onion until translucent, then add garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Return chicken to pan along with any juices on the plate. Add broth, salt, ginger, chili powder, cayenne, curry, peaches, and wine. Stir to combine. When liquid begins to simmer, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes. Cook until chicken is very tender. In a small measuring cup, mix coconut milk and cornstarch. Slowly stir into chicken mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil until sauce is thickened.
- Freezing Directions: Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place into freezer bag, removing as much air as possible, seal and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Heat through. Serve over rice, quinoa, or baked sweet potatoes. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions, chopped cashews and shredded coconut if desired.