Turkey Sloppy Joe’s – Slow Cooking Thursday
The recipe is one that I have have here, however, sometimes the slow cooker is a better option for me. If I am making it for the slow cooker, I always double or triple the recipe that way it doesn’t over cook in the crock and also because I have a ton of people eating at my house!
You can also make this ahead to freeze. After you cook and cook the turkey, onions and carrots, cool mixture and put into a large freezer bag. Dump rest of ingredients into bag. Mix ingredients around in bag, remove as much air as possible, seal and label bag then freeze. When you are ready to cook, thaw the contents of the bag, dump in your crock and follow cooking instructions below. How simple is that?
Head over to Sandra’s for Slow Cooking Thursday and see what is in everyone else’s slow cooker!
The Recipe: Slow Cooker Turkey Sloppy Joe's
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onion, minced
- 4 carrots, finely minced
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup gluten free ketchup, fruit juice sweetened preferred
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons gluten free yellow mustard
- pinch of salt, optional
- pinch of ground pepper
- Heat oil in skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Sauté onion and carrots until onion is translucent, then add ground turkey. Using a heat safe spatula, break up meat in skillet until turkey is completely cooked about 5 more minutes. Transfer to crock and add rest of the ingredients. Mix well, cover then cook on low for 6 to 7 hours until flavors are combined and vegetables are softened. I check about 1/2 hour before eating and see if the sloppy joes look too “juicy”. If they are, I remove the lid of the crock and cook on high, stirring periodically until the right consistency is reached.
- To freeze: Heat oil in skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Using a heat safe spatula, break up meat in skillet until turkey is completely cooked. Put all ingredients including cooked ground turkey into a freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Put contents of bag into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.