Gluten Free Lefse

by angelaskitchen on December 15, 2008

Gluten Free Dairy Free Lefse

This is how we made lefse this weekend.  It tasted like I remember and the kids really liked it.  I do not have any traditional lefse making tools, but with this method did not find it necessary, however do think a very low edged griddle would make it easier to transfer the dough to the pan without wrinkling.  I will make the next batch on a two burner pancake griddle to take advantage of the low sides and make two lefses at the same time.  They are smaller than you can buy, but did not find that a problem.

Gluten Free Lefse

3 cups cooked, riced potatoes

3 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread or organic shortening

1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix (below)

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

1 teaspoon unflavored, unsweetened gelatin

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk

While potatoes are still warm, mix in margarine or shortening.  Allow to cool to room temperature.

Sift together all dry ingredients (do NOT add almond milk at this time).  Mix dry ingredients into cooled potatoes.  Mix well.  Add almond milk and blend well.

On plastic wrap place a ball of dough about the size of an egg.  Place another piece of plastic wrap over dough and roll out dough into a very thin disk.  Remove top piece of plastic. Using bottom piece of plastic wrap gently put top edge of lefse onto rolling pin.  I used the rolling pin to transfer dough to my pan.  Using rolling pin to carefully lay dough on preheated pan, cook lefse until dry with some brown markings on the dough.  Using a thin metal spatula, flip dough over and cook the other side (the second side will have the classic brown spotting marks when cooked through).

Remove lefse from pan and continue to cook the rest of the dough until all the dough is cooked.

Flour mix used:

Xanthan gum

1 teaspoon

2 teaspoons

3 teaspoons

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Lisa May 22, 2009 at 12:27 pm

This recipe has become my saving grace! My kids are on the wheat free, dairy free diet. I thought sandwiches were a thing of the past because we could not find bread my kids liked. I tried the lefse as a wrap and they love it! I have a solution for picnicn lunches this Summer, they like to take it in their school lunches and it has proved to be a quick breakfast on the run with butter spread and jelly. I even found the dough to be more manageable than my traditional lefse. I am very happy with this recipe.

angelaskitchen May 22, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I am so glad it works for your family! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know…

Lisa November 11, 2009 at 10:28 am

Do these freeze well? I’m trying this recipe for the first time this weekend!! Thanks for the recipe!
Lisa

angelaskitchen November 11, 2009 at 11:59 am

I have not frozen them as my family eats them up too quickly! I hope to get some made up next week (when everyone is out of the house!) for the upcoming holidays and freeze them. I plan on putting wax paper or parchment between the layers, wrapping in plastic wrap, then sealing in a zip closed freezer bag (removing all air possible before sealing). I would let them thaw before opening the package. Hope that helps!

Lisa November 15, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Hi Angela–I am trying this recipe and am really really having trouble with the stickiness, it’s sticking to everything! I tried putting it in the frige for a while, I tried adding more flour (1/4 c maybe?) and it’s worse…any suggestions? What did I do wrong?
Thanks,
Lisa

Nancy November 17, 2009 at 2:35 pm

The measurement in the recipe for the flour mix – is it 1 1/2 cups?

angelaskitchen November 21, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Oops! Yep, it’s 1 1/2 cups. I have corrected the recipe. Thanks for catching that!

Janice Blazer December 23, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Another option for making GF lefse is to use a small tortilla press. We make our lefse with just potatoes, GF baking mix and salt. Line the tortilla press with plastic wrap. Place a ball of dough on the press and flatten. (Using refrigerated dough is easier than room temperature dough.) Place the lefse onto the baking surface directly from the plastic wrap. It’s fast and easy and my family couldn’t distinguish between the GF and regular lefse. It is easier if you use a special, low lip pan for the baking part and I use a large spatula for turning instead of the traditional lefse sticks.

Pressing rather than rolling allows for a more uniformly thin lefse (no more dried edges). The smaller pieces are easier to handle with no breakage and using the plastic wrap helps to avoid sticky surfaces.

angelaskitchen January 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Great tip. Thanks!

Colette October 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

Hi Janice Blazer
you recipe for gluten free lefsa sounds so close to our family traditional recipe but can you please tell me what you use for your gluten free flour baking mix.. is it your own mixture or store bought.
thanks

angelaskitchen November 8, 2012 at 8:01 am

Hi! The flour mix I use for this recipe is listed just below the recipe. Hope that helps. Let me know if it isn’t showing up on your computer for some reason and I’ll get it to you another way.

Janice Blazer December 23, 2012 at 12:07 am

I use whatever I have on hand. It really depends on what you like. I have used plain white rice flour and a couple of different baking mixes that I just had on hand at the time. I will be making it this year with my mom who has mixture of white rice flour, potato starch and xanthum gum that we will be using. But I made it earlier for my brother and used a baking mix from our local health food store. I personally avoid flours from beans because I don’t care for them. But that’s just me! Just add enough flour so that you can peel the pressed unbaked lefse off off the Saran Wrap and put it on the pan. This can take a couple of experimental lefse before you get it right but that’s how we approached making gluten lefse, too, so that just seems part of the process to me. Last time I managed to squeeze 5 pressed lefse on my Heritage lefse pan at a time. Went really fast. I should mention that it helps to give the flour some time to absorb into the potatoes before starting to press (like 15 minutes). Good luck.

angelaskitchen December 23, 2012 at 8:55 am

Thanks for the great Lefse tips, Janice!

Shae March 21, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I haven’t used it yet but am wondering if it is possible to still use the round pastry board, dusted with flour (gluten free flour mixture this time) to roll out the lefse like I used to with regular flour? Is rolling it out between pieces of plastic the only option? Thanks!

angelaskitchen April 15, 2013 at 6:55 am

I haven’t tried it the pastry board way as the one I had was completely contaminated with gluten flour and I haven’t gotten a new one yet. Let me know if you try it and how it works.

I will have to look into getting a new board and test it out! :)