I make two versions of gluten free dairy free strawberry “ice cream” for my family, one with egg (a custard based ice cream) and one with out (a “Philadelphia” style). Both are very tasty, but as I rotate whether we use eggs, I have two versions. And, frankly, we don’t always want to go though the custard making step, we just want ice cream! Below is the Philadelphia-style strawberry ice cream which is egg-fee. For the custard-style ice cream, see this post. Both are delicious and hit the spot! 🙂
- 1 – 14 ounce can coconut milk (not light)
- ⅔ cup almond milk, divided
- ⅓ cup sugar or sugar cane crystals
- 3 cups strawberries, cleaned, stemmed and cut into quarters, divided
- Heat the coconut milk and ⅓ cup almond milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles appear around the edge of the pan. Do not let milk boil! Take off of heat. Add sugar to pan, stirring until it dissolves completely. Cool to room temperature.
- Put 2 cups of the strawberries into a blender with the remaining ⅓ cup almond milk. Blend until smooth. Add to the cooled coconut milk mixture. Smash the last cup of strawberries with a potato masher until crushed. Add to coconut milk mixture. Refrigerate until cold.
- Freeze in your ice cream machine according to the machine’s directions.