Fruit snack sound like they are the perfect for a busy family’s snack arsenal- they are portable, loved by kids and they sound like they should be made with fruit, right? Unfortunately, while there are healthier versions on the market now, now fruit snacks are full of corn syrup and food coloring. Try making the super easy-peasy using pure fruit juice concentrate and grass fed beef gelatin for a whole some snack. In less then 20 minutes you can be in bouncy fruit snack heaven!
I store mine in the refrigerator in single serve portions though they travel just fine in a baggie to the park unrefrigerated. I cut these simply into cubes, but try using cute silicone candy molds for shaped fruit snack fun. Yay!
- ½ cup fruit juice concentrate of choice (or ¼ cup fruit juice concentrate and ¼ cup fruit puree with seeds strained out)
- 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice, or to taste (MUCH less of stevia)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened powdered gelatin (I like using a grass fed beef one)
- Lightly oil an 4″x 2" mini loaf pan. Pour juice concentrate into a small sauce pan. Sprinkle unflavored gelatin over juice. Allow to set for a minute for gelatin to absorb the juice. Place pan over medium-low heat, whisking mixture until gelatin is just melted and dissolved. Pour mixture into oiled loaf pan. Place into refrigerator for 15 minutes or until set.
- When fruit snacks are set, slide a thin bladed table knife or spatula around the edges of the pan. Turn pan over onto cutting board, then slice into cubes using a sharp knife. Store in an air tight container.