Pumpkin French Toast Casserole, Gluten & Dairy Free
French toast casserole is such an easy (and inexpensive) dish to make. A delicious make ahead dish, make this up the night before so the egg mixture has time to soak into the bread cubes. This version has pumpkin, maple syrup and the warming spices of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Perfect for a fall morning or for a “breakfast-for-dinner” dinner.
If you have kiddos that don’t like to eat he crust of their gluten free bread, this is a good place to use it up. Cut the crusts into cubes and stash in a freezer bag in the freezer. When you have enough cubes, thaw the cubes and make your dish.
The Recipe: Gluten & Dairy Free Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf of gluten & dairy free bread or French bread, I like using mine: http://angelaskitchen.com/2007/06/14/gluten-and-dairy-free-french-bread/, cut into about ¾” cubes, about 8 - 10 cups
- 6 large eggs
- 1¾ cups dairy free milk substitute, I like almond milk
- ½ cup canned coconut milk, not low fat
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Oil 9×13″ pan. Put gluten free bread cubes into pan.
- Blend eggs, milk substitute, coconut milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice until smooth and well incorporated. Carefully pour egg mixture over bread cubes. Cover pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Take plastic wrap off pan. Mix together brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over French toast casserole.
- Bake French toast casserole in preheated 350 degree F oven for 45-55 minutes, until golden and egg is set.