Cucumbers are growing fast and furious in the garden right now. Yum! Besides pickles and eating them sliced up fresh right off the vine, I like to make this simple salad. When using young cucumbers, I often don’t peel them when making this salad. If your cucumber is older/larger or has a thick peel, the peel may be a bit bitter, so remove the larger seeds and peel. If you aren’t sure about the cucumbers you are using for your salad, slice and taste the cucumber and decide if you would like to leave the peel on, or remove it. 🙂
- 5 to6 large cucumbers, peeled if needed, quartered if larger cucumbers, and sliced
- ¼ cup finely minced chopped fresh dill, basil, Thai basil or mint
- ¼ to ⅓ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar, to taste, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients, tossing well to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and chill if making ahead.