I wanted to get our wild rice soup from the weekend down so I wouldn’t lose it. It was a snowy weekend and this hit the spot. I would double this for the crock pot (we have a 6 quart) and it should freeze well. You could also add sweet potato chunks or winter squash chunks, like I did the next day.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 8 oz container of slice mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup wild rice and rice mix (I used one from Lundberg Farms)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 lb of cooked chicken, ripped into chunks
- 6 Tablespoon corn starch mixed in ¾ cup water
- ½ can coconut milk
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large sauce pan. Saute onion, celery and carrots for about 5 minuted. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute about 2 more minutes. Add rice and saute for one more minute. Put chicken broth into the pan. Stir in salt, pepper, curry powder and parsley. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer.
- When rice is cooked, add chicken and heat through. Next, while stirring soup, slowly pour in the cornstarch/water mixture. Constantly stir until soup is thickened. Stir in coconut milk.
- Eat and smile.
- Slow cooker instructions: Place all ingredients except cornstarch/water mixture and coconut milk. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Stir in corn starch/water mixture and coconut milk, cover again and turn to high. In 20 to 30 minutes, soup should be thickened. Stir and serve.
We were already dairy free because I have an anaphylactic allergy to dairy myself. It turns out I am gluten intolerant also.
It sounds so vicious.
LOVE chicken wild rice soup
My fabulous hubby, Tim! Yay!
Thank you, sweetie!