Allergen Free Brownies – Allergen Free Hits the “Big Time!”
On January 17, 2007, the Martha Stewart show did a segment on allergen free brownies. Yay! The recipe then was put on the website. It is so nice to see more information getting out there, especially in such a tasty way. The recipe is from the profiled bakery, Babycakes, in New York City. If you are out there, check it out!
The Recipe: Allergen Free Babycakes Brownies
- 1/2 cup oil, plus more for pans (I use mild flavored olive oil)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons garbanzo and fava bean flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 cup unrefined sugar or 10 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup store-bought unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee or hot water
- 2 cups allergen free, gluten-free chocolate chips (such as from Enjoy Life)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Brush 3 dozen mini-muffin pans with oil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, potato starch, arrowroot, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, and unsweetened cocoa powder; set aside. In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, 1/2 cup canola oil, and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in coffee until it forms a batter. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place 1 tablespoon batter into each prepared muffin cup. Transfer muffin pans to oven, and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before unmolding.
- To freeze: Package cooled brownie bites in a freezer safe container separated by waxed paper. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw.