- 7 cups russet potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons dairy free margarine or coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups unsweetened dairy free milk substitute such as almond or coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black papper or to taste
- paprika and extra thyme for garnish
- 1 tablespoon dairy free margarine or coconut oil
- 1 medium sweet onion or fennel bulb sliced very thinly, optional
If using optional onion or fennel bulb:
- Heat 1 tablebspoon of margarine or coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion or fennel bulb slices and saute until tender. Set aside until assembeling the dish, then spinkle the onion or fennel slices betweew the layers of potato slices.
Prep the potatoes:
- While peeling and thinly slicing potatoes, place slices in a bowl of cool water. This will keep the potatoes from browning. Drain very well and blot the potato slices before layering.
Making the sauce:
- In a large saucepan, malt the margarine or coconut oil over medium heat. Add cornstarch to oil and whisk constantly until bubbly and well blended.
- While continuing to whisk, slowly whisk in the milk substitute. Continue to whisk until simmering. Sauce is finished when smooth and thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. mix in salt, pepper and thyme.
Assembelling the dish:
- Grease a 9”x13” baking dish (or 2 8”x8” pans) with dairy free margarine or coconut oil.
- Layer potatoes in baking dish, overlapping potatoes and layers. Pour sauce over the potatoes. Dust lightly with paprika. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 60 minutes until potatoes are tender, sauce is bubbling and the edges are golden. Remove from oven and sprinkle with extra thyme. Let potatoes sit for 10 minutes, then serve.
- I freeze this in two 8”x8” pans. Affter assembeling, partially bake for the first 40 minutes, then allow to cool. Sprinkle on remaining thyme for garnish. Double wrap with heavy foil, lable and freeze.
To serve after freezing:
- Thaw. Remove wrap then cover with a single layer of foil. Bake in a 350F degree preheated oven for 15 minutes. Uncover the bake for another 30 minutes for until potatoes are tender, sauce is bubbly and the topping is golden.