coconut water kefir

by angelaskitchen on November 3, 2006

We don’t just eat cookies around here (though it might seem like it!)   We also eat quite a bit of tasty healthy food, too!  One of the great things that we have added to our diet in the past year is coconut water kefir.  We use the starter from body ecology which we can get at our local store (lucky for us).  I follow the instructions on the website  http://bodyecology.com/mcoconutkefir.php  but as I don’t have a machette and coconuts rolling around in my kitchen, I use the coconut water from Harvest Bay (VitaCoco also has coconut water www.vitacoco.com).

I use the coconut water kefir in our morning smoothies for the kiddies, though I drink it straight quite often.  I have been experimenting using it in gluten-free sour doughs and in presoaking our grains before cooking (following traditional preparation techniques outlined in “Nourishing Traditions”) to increase absorbtion of nutrients and to breakdown phytic acid in whole grains.  I figure our digestion can all use the help!

You should try it!  Coconut water kefir is super easy to make and it has really helped with digestion issues with our family.  It is light and tangy, a bit like lemonade. Even picky girl drinks it!

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Tracy February 3, 2009 at 2:59 pm

What store carries the starter culture? I was intrigued when I saw that you got it at the store. Let me know.

thanks, Tracy

angelaskitchen February 4, 2009 at 9:04 pm

My local health store carried it. I am actually not sure if they still do as I haven’t shopped that one in a while. The store is called Fresh and Natural Foods… You can order it from the Body Ecology site also.

Tracy February 5, 2009 at 11:44 am

thanks Angela,

Wow, where did you get the cool thing your daughter is using in the picture. Looks like lots of fun. OT I know. Thanks again! Tracy

angelaskitchen February 7, 2009 at 7:59 pm

That was a toy at her preschool… It is very cool! I wish I knew what it was called. It starts as a smaller plastic ball that you can pull on and expand. I think the name has “geo” in it, but I am not sure.

Rachel February 26, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Look for Mega Sphere for the toy. I have a smaller one that glows in the dark. It has lasted 3 kids now (about 5 years) and is not broken.

Rachel February 26, 2009 at 8:05 pm